skip to main |
skip to sidebar
So, there is this interview thing floating around in the blogosphere and I thought I should participate. So I asked my good friend Bren to interview me. (This is kind of cheating, I know, since she and I have been friends since grade ten.) Here are the (very hard) questions she has asked me...
1) When you and Husband got married, did you have a 'five year plan?' If so, did you stick to it and why/why not?
(I could be really mean and answer this yes/no question with a simple "no", but I won't.) We did not have any sort of five year plan when we got married. All we knew was that at least one of us would go back to school and that we would probably wait about five years to have kids. Husband did his graduate studies at the University of Edinburgh in 03/04. We had Baby four and a half months after our fifth anniversary.
Although I like to have day to day things planned out, I would say that when it comes to the big picture we could be described as dreamers as opposed to planners. Like "Wouldn't it be cool if some day we..." as opposed to "Okay, in one year we will do this so that in two years we will be able to do that..."
2) Tell us about the Best Date Ever - since you got married.
This isn't really a fair question. Any answer that starts with "When we lived in Scotland" is going to sound super impressive. But that is how it will start...
When we lived in Scotland, Husband and I celebrated our third wedding anniversary. It wasn't really a date so much as a weekend excursion. We took the train from Edinburgh, where we were living, to Oban on the west coast. We stayed at a B&B and took the "Three Isle Tour" which took us to Mull, Staffa, and Iona. We got to see puffins and I waded in the water at a white-sand beach on Iona (which I paid for later with a nasty cold - it was May.) It was lovely and fun and a great break for both of us.
Second to that would probably be this date.
3) What's the greatest discovery you've made about YOU since becoming a Mom?
I suppose you probably mean a positive discovery, but I will give you one negative and one positive thing that I have learned about myself.
First, negative. I am far too dramatic. I guess I always knew this to some extent but it has been magnified by motherhood. I couldn't count how many times I have exclaimed, "That's it, I quit. I'm going to buy bottles and formula tomorrow!" or some equally silly thing. I think it helps me to see that of course I really can to it (whatever "it" may be - - breastfeeding, nighttime parenting etc...), but I know that it is really hard on Husband. He never knows when I am serious (I need your help) and when I am being a drama queen (just ignore me please).
Second, positive. I have always felt like I never really found my "thing". I was good in school, but not top of the class. I am a good musician, but not a virtuoso. I have dabbled in various types of art and even some sport, but never really found my thing. I have found it now. I love being a mom and, if I do say so myself, I'm pretty good at it. I have no doubt that this is what I am supposed to be doing. It is encouraging and gratifying to know that I am the best mom for my little guy.
4) What is your biggest fear regarding parenting?
Okay, this is a tough one. I don't think I can identify one fear that overrides all the others. I think of it more in the sense of my hopes regarding parenting. Dr. Sears defines the "successful child" as someone who is a blessing to others. That is what I want for Baby. I want him to make good decisions, be happy and healthy and be a blessing to the people in his life. I know that is kind of a cop-out answer. I know that as he grows my fears and concerns will change. It is all scary.
5) If you could change any thing about/in your life (besides always beating me by a minimum of two points on choir tests...) what would it be and why?
Every year come back-to-school time I have a few days where I feel a bit down, regretting the fact that I didn't finish my education degree at University. I don't regret transferring from University to the Bible College I graduated from, but I still think about what it would be like if I were a teacher. Now, I'm not sure exactly what I would change. Would I change my life so that I had become a teacher? or would I just change things so that I didn't feel regret each autumn?...
How did I do? Now, if anyone wants to be interviewed by me, let me know and I will come up with five questions for you (I know that most of my readers aren't bloggers but I thought I should ask anyway).
2 comments:
You know, reading Dr. Sears definition of a successful child made my day. Thank you for that.
And we certainly didn't stick to any sort of five-year plan - we accidentally got pregnant on our honeymoon. Whoops! It all worked out well, though.
Brilliantly done! Your answer about the greatest discovery surprised me a little because I have always considered you the best musician I know...but what a perfect answer!
I think I've posted this quote in somebody else's comments section at some point, but you made me think of it again:
"True love ennobles and dignifies the material labours of life; and homely services rendered for love's sake have in them a poetry that is immortal." - Harriet Beecher Stowe
P.S. LJ will home in a minute and then we have to eat quick before class. I'll call you tomorrow!
Post a Comment